Sunday, April 3, 2011

Creamed Eggs on Toast


Okay, okay, I admit it sounds gross but trust me this is the absolute tastiest non-traditional breakfast you can eat! This is another one that I grew up with, though admittedly mom didn't fix it near as often as I would like even though it's simple and easy. This one I do a lot by feel so the measurements are my best guess.

Ingredients
Five (5) hard-boiled eggs, peeled & sliced (if I didn't say peeled then some yahoo would surely try and make it with the egg shell intact!)
One (1) teaspoon of salt
1/8 cup of butter
1/3 cup self-rising flour
Three (3) to four (4) cups of milk
Paprika
Toast
One box of Strawberry Poptarts

You can use a small to medium size pot or a large saucepan but I prefer a pot.
After you've boiled and sliced your eggs you need to make a white sauce.
To make the sauce melt the butter in the pot over medium heat then add the the flour. Mix it well until it has the consistency of a good thick paste. Add a little milk and stir. Continue slowly adding milk making sure you stir until the flour/butter mixture is dissolved into the milk. Add the salt. There will likely be a few beads of the mixture that won't dissolve further but don't sweat it. Continue cooking on medium heat and stirring. Sure you can take a break and stop stirring for a moment or two but don't stop longer than that. When the mixture has thickened to a point that you like it then you're ready. I prefer my sauce to be moderately thick like room temperature pancake syrup would be.
Now fold in the sliced eggs making sure they are all mixed in well. Place toast on a plate and ladle the mixture over the toast, sprinkle with Paprika, serve and enjoy.
This recipe will make approximately enough to cover eight slices of toast.
Oh! And the Poptarts? Well those are for the kids who turn their nose up at this fantastic meal but personally, if they won't eat what you fix I'd make 'em do without until lunch! Trust me though, this is a fantastic breakfast, even got my roommate and her son loving it!

No comments: